Re: F&C PS-0 ten rib end kit

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Nov 22, 2004, at 8:11 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:

Ted Culotta asked:
"What I was asking is whether the ten corrugation end cars built in
1940,
specifically the PM and WLE, had square or round corner ends.  It
appears
based upon Brian Carlson's info that the WLE has also had round corner ends,
making it unlikely
that the PM would have had square corner ends."

I checked Million/Paton's _Pere Marquette Revenue Freight Cars_ -
there's a
photo of PM 84000 on page 121, clearly showing square corner ends.
I have now seen photos of an NKP (20177 - Jay Williams), WLE (26016 -
Bob's) and the one referenced by Ben above. They are all round corners
and the indicator of the round corners is that the tapers of the
corrugations extend around the corners on the round corners (as on
these 1940 built NKP, WLE and PM cars) while they terminate before the
corner on square corner ends. The NKP photo really illustrates this
extremely well. They are the same type of end, save riveting vs.
welding to join the two panels, as used on the WLE and TC 1937 AAR box
cars built in 1941.

Regards,
Ted Culotta