Re: Flat cars

Michael Aufderheide

Mont,

Do you have the flat car diagram in a easily
e-mailable form? I've got one of my two cars done and
it would be good to have a least one with the stake
pockets right!! As an aside, I stopped by Linden on
the way home from the convention, Bill pulled up and
noticed that the stake pockets were cast with ICRR in
them. Curious.

Also, I plan on going to Linden in January to help
with the archives. Do you want to take care of your
ebay stuff then?

Also, also, I've sent another email to Tom Kepshire
regarding the feasiblity of a modeling group worked
through the society web site. If it won't work that
way I'm inclined to start a Yahoo group and just get
it going. Winter: 'tis the season to build models!
I'll keep you posted.

Also, also, also, I've been adding re-weigh and
re-pack data to some of my cars lately. I noticed on
one of your decal sheets there is a stencil for
something like 'this door is fastened shut'. Might be
more pieces of the 13/14/1500 series boxcar puzzle.

Regards,

Mike
--- Montford Switzer <ZOE@IQUEST.NET> wrote:

Ben and Mike:

Let me jump in here a little regarding the MONON
7501 - 7510 series
forty-foot flat cars.

They were converted from stone gons built in 1926 to
flat cars in 1945.
They were off the roster by the early to mid-1960's.
I've never seen a
photo of one, but have a lettering diagram which
also gives the stake
pocket spacing. This spacing is not consistent from
pocket center to
pocket center due to the odd spacing of the gon
ribs.

Also note that the car preserved by the Monon
Society at Linden, IN does
not appear to be one of the 7501 - 7510 series
flats. There are fewer
stake pockets than called for in the official Monon
documents.

I covered all of this in an article that has been
submitted to MAINLINE
MODELER. I suspect we will see it in print some
time during the first
half of 2005. The side and end sills by THE SHOPS
with the Tichy flat
car kit and a few added details build into a rather
nice looking model.

Mont Switzer