Re: Even (or odd) numbers only

Ian Cranstone

On 14-Dec-04, at 7:00 AM, Mark Mathu wrote:

Back in the pre-World war II days, the railroad I'm researching
(GB&W) used even numbers only for boxcars, and odd numbers only for
flatcars and gondolas. I've seen similar numbering on other Midwest
railroads... what was the reason for numbering cars like that?
As I recall the Canadian Northern and Canadian Pacific prior to 1913 did the same thing (even number for roofed cars, odd numbers for open cars). My theory is that it was a simple check digit -- if you saw an even number on a switchlist or some such document for a coal gondola, you'd know something was wrong.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...