Re: Tank Car ID Help Needed

Richard Hendrickson

http://home.comcast.net/~sseders/tankcar.html

I am cerebrally challenged when it comes to tank cars. Can anyone tell me
who this car belongs to? Any info would be of great help.
Looks like a Dow Chemical tank car. The Ohio, Kanahwa and
other river valleys in that region had (still have) lots of
chemical plants. Judging by the type of car (insulated 103)
I would guess it's for sodium carbonate or sodium hydroxide,
two common industrial chemicals.
Tim is correct that this is a Dow Chemical Co. tank car, in this case a 10K
gal. ICC-104 (or insulated ICC-103, which amounts to the same thing) built
in the 1920s by the Standard Tank Car Co. - note the distinctive sloping
box bolsters.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520