Re: 1942-42 color Yard photos (Jack Delano)

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
Many of you are probably aware of this resource, but I was reminded
just this week of how wonderful it is. That is the collection of Jack
Delano photos in the Library of Congress. In particular, there are a
series of color photos from the WWII era that are wonderful examples of
the color and weathering patterns of cars of this era. The sea of
brown/red, with a few yellow/orange reefers, and just a couple of white
cars is a remarkable confirmation of what we expect in this era.
These photos also give the lie to those modelers who complain that heavily weathered freight car models from the steam era, such as the excellent ones Richard Hendrickson produces, are "overdone."

Publishers of books on railroad history