Re: decaling Westerfield models

Richard Hendrickson

I am about to start decaling my first Westerfield model. What decal
setting solution do you guys recommend for their decals. I have
Solvaset, Champ setting solution, and Microscale,both Micro sol and
Micro Set, setting solutions.

Thanks in advance
Brian carlson
Brian, the Rail Graphics decals included in Westerfield kits aren't
especially fragile (unlike older Microscale decals, which tend to
disintegrate if you even look cross-eyed at them), though all decals need
to be handled carefully, of course. In my experience, all of the setting
fluids you identify will work, but you want to be careful with full
strength Champ decal set, as it's the most potent of the lot. I usually
use the Champ setting fluid mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water first, which
should get everything settled in place, and then go back with full strength
Champ used sparingly to get rid of bumps and bubbles. But I've also used
Solvaset and Micro-Sol/Micro-Set in the past with good results.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520