Re: decaling Westerfield models

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Dec 19, 2004, at 4:53 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

I am about to start decaling my first Westerfield model.  What decal
>setting solution do you guys recommend for their decals.  I have
>Solvaset, Champ setting solution, and Microscale,both  Micro sol and
>Micro Set, setting solutions.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Brian carlson

Brian, the Rail Graphics decals included in Westerfield kits aren't
especially fragile (unlike older Microscale decals, which tend to
disintegrate if you even look cross-eyed at them), though all decals
need
to be handled carefully, of course.  In my experience, all of the
setting
fluids you identify will work, but you want to be careful with full
strength Champ decal set, as it's the most potent of the lot.  I
usually
use the Champ setting fluid mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water first, which
should get everything settled in place, and then go back with full
strength
Champ used sparingly to get rid of bumps and bubbles.  But I've also
used
Solvaset and Micro-Sol/Micro-Set in the past with good results.
Brian:

In addition to Richard's comments. one thing I do that eliminates any
marring of the decals is to not add setting solution until after the
decals have dried completely. Then, I just touch the edges of the
decals with a brush with the solution. The solution runs under the
decals. Once this application has dried completely, I then go back and
really bathe them in solution. At that point, they are affixed pretty
well except for bubbles that need to be pierced or cut. I use full
strength Champ with this approach and have not had issues.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402