Re: Top Ten

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Ben Hom writes-

I've got
several resin models built by rookie kit builders that will have to
be disassembled to add weight. I'm not particularly looking forward
to this job.
Well, Ben has THAT right!

I have addressed this matter partially in a number of ways, depending upon whether or not I think I can get away with it: One way is to apply fitted sheet lead pieces into the interstices of the underframe between crossbearers and sills, if I can do so without fatally compromising the visual aspects of the underbody detailing- that is, what one can see when actually operated on the track. Another way is to take the largest heaviest thickest steel nails that I can find, saw them down to size and epoxy a number of them vertically flush into holes drilled in the underbody. With the latter method, one has to be careful to avoid top-heaviness, of course.

I will also replace plastic trucks with metal trucks (added to my existing standard of metal wheels-only). This added next-to-the-track weight alone can often make an otherwise too light car quite usable and reliable in train use- even though the total weight may come no where near an NMRA standard.

None of these methods above substitute for an adequate weight that should have been applied in first place, i.e. situations where destruction of a fine car may be otherwise required for any desired reliable use beyond just perching on a plinth.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento