Re: Couplers and wheels (was: Top Ten)

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Excellent thread. "Been there, done that!", (repeatedly, it must be admitted).

The good advice offered by Bill Darnaby and
"Jerry in Florida" about ensuring that the body
bolster and coupler surfaces are level
(especially crosswise); and ensuring that the
drilled hole through the bolster for the truck
screw is an accurate 90ยบ cannot be
overemphasized. These are universally-encountered
problems that if not perceived and corrected,
come right back to bite you (especially a cocked
or off center truck screw- just try to fix that!).

I too drill all of my bolsters with a drill press, just for the reasons stated.

I have become so enamored of the profound visual
advantages of the .088" wheels, not to mention
the truly dramatic decrease in rolling resistance
that can and does occur when trucks are custom
fitted with custom axle lengths, that I now carry
in inventory a major selection of Reboxx
wheelsets. It is one of my better modeling
investments. I also invested in a roll tester so
that I have some means of objectively measuring
differing degrees of rolling resistance (I keep a
notebook of results).

I have had to deal with too many fine cars with
inaccessible loose weights. In this respect, I
will gently disagree with Ted Culotta about the
use of GE Silicone caulk for weights. Silicone
caulks are inherently and naturally poor
adhesives, while yet being wonderful caulks. In
this respect, where permanent adhesion of the
weight is so important in a closed space most
probably "forever" inaccessible, I instead elect
to use either GOO or Barge contact cements, two
true adhesives with proven excellent long term
reliability.

A disadvantage of using larger steel nuts as
weights is that the resulting center of gravity
can at times be higher than desired or predicted,
and in the same respect, the slightest off-center
positioning can then have some pretty undesirable
accentuated effects on stability.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD