Re: NY State

DRGW482@...

Fingerlakes Region is a relatively vague term.

Major towns along the ERIE

Wellsville NY: oil field equipment and the outlet for the leather products
coming via the WAG (also: Elkland Leather Co, Elkland PA)

Alfred NY Bricks. Pretty famous for that. And a University.

Hornell: Erie shops and related industries

Hammondsport: Mercury Aircraft (today a museum)

Painted Post: Ingersoll Rand (compressors)

Corning NY: Corning Glass works. A brick factory. A foundry. Outlet for the
Coal traffic of the ERIE and NYC from the PA coal fields. Corning Fibre Box
Corporation

Elmira: Heavy industry (American Bridge, American LaFrance), the outlet for
the PRR Elmira Branch from Williamsport, PA. Meat packing (Armour). Anchor
Hocking Glass

Sayre: LV shops

As the eastern end for the finger lakes area: Binghamton (earlier is WAS
Bingham_p_ton): mixed industry

North of the ERIE you have a lot of dairy, apple orchards, and beginning of
wine (not nearly to the extend it is today).

Going up the Corning Secondary: Main route for NYC traffic from PA to Lyons
NY
About every town had a team track. I have an old photo of a NYC stock car in
Beaver Dams NY.
In Watkins Glen you have salt mines: International Salt, Watkins Salt (on
the PRR) (today Cargill and US-Salt).
Other towns up north: orchards, dairy.

Going up the PRR Elmira Branch: PRR traffic to Sodus Point (coal,
merchandise)
NYC and PRR cross in Himrod NY, with interchange. Penn Yan is also big for
agricultrual shipment. The elevator stands today.

In Ithaca you have the LV coming from Sayre. I don't remember if there was a
lot of industry there. But a University with spectactular special trains.

I am not that familiar with the northern end of the lakes, but you have
Rochester, Auburn, Syracuse (Solvay) providing their share of traffic south. For
example to Dansville NY (Foster & Wheeler). You could surely also model the
upper end of the finger lakes region focusing on the routes all touching the
flat land area near the lake and how they move to Buffalo. NYC, LV,
Westshore....

The one east-west road I have not mentioned yet is the DL&W. Between
Binghamton and Corning, the DL&W and the ERIE parallel each other. And from what I
can tell it ran mainly a a through road here. Several locals did run from
Binghamton west and particularly north to Ithaca. North mainly if I understand
correctly for dairy and fruits. (Nice photos in Tober's DL&W books). But for
example, in Corning, the DLW only had a small interchange yard. Main players
were the NYC and ERIE. There was a large yard facility in Elmira, serving among
other things a DLW freight house in the same vicinity as the ERIE yard
(shown on a 1904 map)

Short answer:
It really depends on what particular line you pick: the NYC or the PRR or
any of the others, you will get the individual flavor regarding traffic.

Martin