Re: Couplers and Wheels

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

From several off-list posts to me re: fitting proper axle lengths into trucks, it has been pointed out to me that there is a common presumption that minimum axle end play means maximum rollability.

True in theory, not always so in real life.

In real time there IS an accurate general correlation of these two parameters over a wide range, but because the axle ends and the journal boxes rarely, if ever, present to each other as perfect concentric cones, maximum rollability , i.e. reproducible objectively-measured mimimum rolling resistance, rarely occurs without some end play, sometimes a fair amount. That is why the Accurail trucks that I have tested (repeatedly) roll the very best with axles considerably shorter than what might otherwise be considered ideal if one was judging on minimum end play as well.

Fortunately, the end play on these trucks (and also most other trucks with similar issues) does not result in the waddling drunken gait and reduced car height that has been experienced and seen so often with the notorious Athearn trucks.

DEnny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California