Re: PRR ??3353

Brian Carlson

Rob it looks like and X28a to me, car number appears to be 123353 which matches a number assigned to a X28a. X28a's were rebuilt from 1-1/2 door X28 cars. The X28 was slightly taller than the X29 built originally for automobile trade. Rob's website has some more information http://prr.railfan.net/freight/classpage.html?class=X28

Brian J. carlson

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
I am attempting to identify another freight car that showed up in the CPR waterfront yard in Vancouver, this one Aug 1, 1947. I'm not able to make out the first two digits in the car number on this steel single door box car. The flat riveted ends make me think its an X29 of some sort - though I've reasons to wonder if something different. Why? Some observations: there is what appears to be a new panel left of the door - makes me wonder about a double door car converted to single door. Also, there appears to be some writing that went across two or three panels that has been painted over - its located above the car number. Do these signify some sort of change?

Help with identifying the car, online photo links and modelling clues would be appreciated.

Rob Kirkham

http://mail.yahoo.com