Re: IC Hopper

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Jerry" <jrs060@m...> wrote:

Well Mike your not going to get any help from the "West Coast
Brain Trust" on this one. What your are discribing here is the
IC rebuild of it's USRA composite gondola cars done at Centralia
shops in I believe 1948. They were 2 bay, and because of the
rebuilding, low in stature height, and longer in length than a
normal 2 bay off-set side hopper. It was simply an easy fix of
a hole lot of old worn-out gondola cars. One must remember the
environment this was done in after the war, as thay would say
in RAILWAY AGE magazine, "To build or to rebuild".
I can personal remember many IC coal trains in the mid 1950's,
and out of a 100 car drag to the BRC in Chicago, 10 or so
would always be the rebuilds. They were quit prevalent in the
late 40's, through the late 50's.
Mike and Jerry,

The cars in question were built, or more correctly converted, into
twin hoppers by the IC from former gondolas numbered in the 90000-
93970 series, (original numbers 214750-218749). The first group was
converted in 1945 and numbered 75000-76999. The second group were
converted in 1946 and 1947 and numbered 77000-78965. Photos of these
cars show original built dates of 1924 and 25. Quite a few of these
cars were still in service in 1960 when I hired out on the IC, but
they rapidly disappeared within the next few years By 1962, the IC
was using their number series on new 11'-10" height twin hoppers
being built that year.

The cars had an inside length of 41'-3", and the hoppers were 16'-2"
apart at the bottom of the openings. Their 9'-7" height made them
stand out in a train of IC hoppers, most of which were 10'-8" in
height. I have not looked into the way to model these cars, but I
have been promoted them to a familiar resin car pattern maker for a
few years.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

--- In STMFC@..., Mike Aufderheide <mononinmonon@y...>
wrote:
Looking through some books recently, a few interesting
IC hoppers have stuck out. They have ribbed sides with
a short flat panel above. On one car the upper panel
looked to have stampings at a regular interval. They
look very similar to the rebuilt PRR H22a coke cars (a
la Bowser), that is low hoppers with an extended side.
In an IC book I was looking at they were very
prevailant. The two numbers I was able to see are
77036 and 75373. The hopper bottoms are in shadow in
all cases so I don't know how many bays they are.
Even with the sides extended their height is about a
foot lower than the typical offset-side IC twin
hoppers. Does anyone know about these cars and how to
model them?

Thanks,

Mike Aufderheide