Re: Library of Congress ORER Holdings

CBarkan@...

The LOC ORER collection is incomplete and 1948 sounds about right for their
collection. A virtually complete collection was in the ICC library.
Unfortunately, their entire collection (which includes other materials dating back to
the 1830s) sits outside in a container somewhere near Denver. No telling what
condition it will be in if and when the U of Denver ever decides to actually
add it to their library which was the agreement by which they received the
collection in the first place. I recall others in the past saying there were
pretty good holdings of ORERs in the New York Public library (on-line catalogue I
think) and a few other libraries and museums around the country. Since you
are in Oregon, perhaps someone can chime in regarding left coast locations (Cal.
Rwy Museum?).

Chris

In a message dated 1/22/05 8:54:39 PM, richtownsend@... writes:

<< Last time I was at the Library of Congress I was looking for early ORERs.
The catalog said they only went back to 1948. Was it know by some other
name, or is the LOC holding incomplete?

--

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, Oregon>>