Re: Freight Tariffs

earlyrail

--- In STMFC@..., "buchwaldfam" <duff@g...> wrote:

Not to go into the nitty-gritty of Chinese arithmatic, but....

In general terms, how were shippers charged for the railroad's
services. In particular, a shipper has 3/4ths of a 1944 box car
volume worth of widgets, but the railroad supplies a 1923 built 8
1/2 foot tall car, which gets filled to the rim with the same number
of widgets. Do the shippers get charged for "a car and up to 50 tons
times X number of miles", for "volume times weight times miles", or
what? Same thing applies to grain shipments (actually, the photos in
the 1932 ARA box car book which show the different lines on the
inside lining, for different grain types, is what got me thinking
about this!)

A "high level" explanation of how this worked might help making more
realistic car assignments during an operating session.

Thanks!

Phil Buchwald
I am not the expert on this, but I have studied the 1900 period of
tarrifs.

For you "widgets". The tarrif will specify a rate per hundred pounds.
It appears you are talking about a carload rate, so we also need to
know the minimum carload weight for widgets. If we are less then the
carload weight, we still pay for that minimum weight. If we are over
we payu by the hundred weight. As long as our volume of widgets fits
the car provided, we are fine. If we requested a car based on volume,
then some exceptions take place.

With livestock there are some execptions on the size ordered verses
the size recieved. Even in boxcar shipments, if we ordered a 100,000
lb car and had that weight to ship, and the railroad provided a 80,000
lb car, the additional 20,000 lb could be loaded in another car and
both cars would be considered as a one car shipment at the conveniance
of the railroad.

On the grain markings you mentioned. Various grains weight in
differently, these lines mark where the load would be equal to the
cars weight capacity. These serve as a guide at the elevator for loading.

Howard Garner