Re: Freight Tariffs

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

OK, I can understand it at this level. If you ordered a car, you
paid a minimum weight regardless of how small your shipment was. As
your shipment weight went up, the rate slid up accordingly.
Relating this to a model railroad, I may have to run two 40 ton
cars to a siding if I decide that there is no 50 ton car available
that day.

Of course, as my brain runs off on a tangent to this, (and this
is a BIG jump!), taking a look at the USRA cars: If the technology
had developed to the point where the 50 ton car was practical, why
didn't the USRA simply standardize on the 50 ton car? Instead, they
had standard designs in both 40 AND 50 tons capacity?
Thanks!
Phil Buchwald

I am not the expert on this, but I have studied the 1900 period of
tarrifs.

For you "widgets". The tarrif will specify a rate per hundred
pounds.
It appears you are talking about a carload rate, so we also need
know the minimum carload weight for widgets. If we are less then
the
carload weight, we still pay for that minimum weight. If we are
over
we payu by the hundred weight. As long as our volume of widgets
fits
the car provided, we are fine. If we requested a car based on
volume,
then some exceptions take place.

With livestock there are some execptions on the size ordered verses
the size recieved. Even in boxcar shipments, if we ordered a
100,000
lb car and had that weight to ship, and the railroad provided a
80,000
lb car, the additional 20,000 lb could be loaded in another car and
both cars would be considered as a one car shipment at the
conveniance
of the railroad.

On the grain markings you mentioned. Various grains weight in
differently, these lines mark where the load would be equal to the
cars weight capacity. These serve as a guide at the elevator for

Howard Garner