Re: Freight Tariffs

Tim O'Connor

Phil, no and no. It you didn't have a carload (or close to),
then you sent it l.c.l.

You might substitute two cars for one car, but it costs you
plenty. And the customer could refuse the cars. I suppose a
coal mine may not care, but if you're shipping merchandise
or machinery the car type & size might be important.

OK, I can understand it at this level. If you ordered a car, you
paid a minimum weight regardless of how small your shipment was. As
your shipment weight went up, the rate slid up accordingly.
Relating this to a model railroad, I may have to run two 40 ton
cars to a siding if I decide that there is no 50 ton car available
that day.