Re: Missouri Pacific 7100-7199 series hoppers with coke racks

Ed Hawkins

On Monday, January 24, 2005, at 08:03 AM, asychis@... wrote:

In the late 1950s, Missouri Pacific had 100 cars (7100-7199) fitted with coke
racks. Were these hoppers or gondolas? Doe anyone know of photos of this
series of cars with or without the coke racks? Could someone describe for me
just what a coke rack is? Anyone know of coke ovens in the Southern Illinois
area? Five of these cars were assigned to coke service out of Bush, Illinois,
from Burning Star mine, but I can find no information on coke ovens. The
majority of these cars (75) were assigned to Great Lakes out of Carondelet,
Missouri. Thanks!
Jerry,
The 4/57 ORER lists these cars as being gondola cars with no special notes about coke racks. The cars were built in mid-1956. The only photo I've seen of a car from this series was a MP builder's photo 4x5 negative in the Union Pacific Archives.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins