Re: Freight Tariffs

Bill McCoy <bugsy451@...>

I was involved with pricing (Sales and marketing) with CSXT and it's
predecessors for 33 years. The various respondents are correct in
that tarriffs were esoteric in the extreme. It depends on what
tarriff as to whether it may have great or little value.

Tarriffs fell into three major categories: Class, Exception and
Commodity. The Class tarriffs were the list price for anything to
move between anywhere and are of little value for traffic flow
varification such as the thread on the WAG a few weeks ago. The
Exception tarriffs are more specific and deal with larger volume
movement between some specific points although many of the rates are
based on mileage rather than between specific origins and
destinations. The best vintage tarriffs to get information from are
Commodity tarriffs. They deal specific commodities such as steel,
meat, perishables etc., points of origin, destination, car type and
route and would be a great way to varify what car types would be
likely to have moved during a specific period. Most Commodity rates
were point to point were published from origin to destination
including specific specification as to car type, minimum weights and
route. Meat rates to the east from Iowa and Nebraska would have been
in a Western Truck Lines (WTL) Tarriff. Those from Chicago would
have been in an Illinois Freight Agency (IFA) tarriff. There would
have been a tarriff for traffic moving to the East, the Trunk Line
Territory etc. All of the US was divided into rate territories. All
of the railroads that had traffic moving were members of these rate
bureaus which operated under the auspicies of the ICC. These bureaus
and most of this rate structure dissappeared with deregulation in
1980.

If anyone wants to list the title page information of old tarriffs
they come across, I woulsd be more than happy to try to give them
perspective as to what value they would have too us as modelers.

Bill McCoy
Jax

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@c...> wrote:

Phil, no and no. It you didn't have a carload (or close to),
then you sent it l.c.l.

You might substitute two cars for one car, but it costs you
plenty. And the customer could refuse the cars. I suppose a
coal mine may not care, but if you're shipping merchandise
or machinery the car type & size might be important.

OK, I can understand it at this level. If you ordered a car,
you
paid a minimum weight regardless of how small your shipment was.
As
your shipment weight went up, the rate slid up accordingly.
Relating this to a model railroad, I may have to run two 40
ton
cars to a siding if I decide that there is no 50 ton car
available
that day.