Re: Comments on B&M X-29 box cars in RMC ad

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Jan 26, 2005, at 5:42 PM, timgilbert17851 wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Ted Culotta <tculotta@s...> wrote:

> It's a 1923 ARA design box car - there were 21 for the B&M and 4 for
> MTC.  The doors (NOT reverse Creco - there is no such animal) are
> correct for an as built car, but by then, me thinks they all had
been
> fitted with Youngstown corrugated doors.  Since they were also top
hung
> doors, the door tracks are incorrect.  You can get the correcr parts
> from several sets of Grandt Line Camel wood doors.  Oh, by the way,
> they had Duryea underframes.  Here is what the model should look
like
> as built (see below).  The big change for your era would be the
doors.

> http://www.steamfreightcars.com/calendar/2002/nap02/bm71968main.html

Ted,

What makes you think that all of B&M's 1923 Steel Design Boxcars had
Youngstown Doors when the photo of MTC #71999 with original "as built"
doors on page 27 of the NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND COLOR GUIDE was taken on
January 30, 1960?
Silly assumption. I did say I thought, not that they definitely had.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402