Re: Usage fees

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jared Harper wrote:
I appreciate this also. Being a person who has researched and
written books the cost of getting copies of photos and then using
them in your publication can be prohibitive. I have limited the
use of photos from certain sources because of the costs. I realize
museums and libraries need to maintain their collections, but it
also needs to be kept in mind that most historical researchers do
not operate with big budgets. For people like me who do it as an
adjunct to their hobby it is even more true. Also, it is unlikely
we can recoup the expenses through the publication process. Writers
of railroad books do not get rich. We may be lucky to break even.
Our reward is knowing we have helped preserve part of the historical
record and what small measure of "fame" that might accrue.
Well said, Jared. The most glaring current example is the UP Museum, which has raised fees very high, not just for individuals but for TV and movie use also, and (apparently to their astonishment) revenues from the Museum have plummeted. The reason for raising fees was, as you might guess, to increase revenue. I assume there were a few lectures in Economics 101 which these people failed to attend.

Publishers of books on railroad history