Re: New Walthers USRA 55 ton hopper

Jerry <jrs060@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Chet French" <cfrench@g...> wrote:

"The IC cars were originally numbered in the 210000-210999 series.
The April 1940 ORER shows 960 cars still in the group. By this
time
they were being renumbered in the 65000-65959 series. A January
1946
IC equipment book shows 954 cars. They do not appear in the July
1950 ORER. The IC was adding many new and converted hopper cars to
their fleet from 1945 through 1950 and beyond, and I imagine the
older cars were scrapped rather quickly."

Chet, it sure is coincidental to see your post on this as I
was talking with Ted Richardson on the phone this morning
about this very topic, the general renumbering of IC freight
equipment. We came to about the same conclusion, it was done
sometime during WWII, probable started in 1942. In a typical
IC efficient manner, they had somehow managed to accomplish
before 1946 in the middle of war, amazing!

Regards,
Jerry Stewart
Chicago, Ill.