Re: More on museums and archives

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Tony Thompson observes-

An interesting point, as both the donors I know of, who gave
book collections and found that they had been promptly sold, were under
the impression that they were donating to CSRM. Perhaps this was really
done, and properly so, through the Foundation; but I would observe that
there is a possibility that this distinction is not being made as
clearly as you, Denny, might like to think-
If nothing else, the distinction is made clear to the donors (of Steam Era Freight Car (:-), and other materials) in the written Gift documentation to either institution that the donors have to acknowledge in each instance by their own signatures.

Before patient Mike Brock kicks us both of of this forum, I will promptly retire this matter to off list and ask Tony to let me know the instances that he believes are or were at issue, and then let me privately look into them. These kinds of issues can do incalculable damage to an institution's reputation by rumor alone, and in this regard they have to be documented In the unlikely event they may be found to be true, they also have to be directly confronted.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, California