Re: PFE R-30-9

Richard Hendrickson

From Tim O'Connor:

Richard Hendrickson wrote

Brian, in all of the photos I have of R-30-9s after the T-section trucks
were replaced, the trucks that replaced them were AAR with spring planks
and Barber lateral motion bolsters. No one makes that truck in HO scale
but the closest thing to it is Accurail's mis-named "Bettendorf" truck.
"AAR" covers a broad spectrum, eh? A 1954 photo of PFE #93151 shows two
different trucks. Both have spring planks as you say. One resembles the
'Type Y' (2DF8) sideframe. An earlier photo of PFE #85210 clearly shows
this sideframe, and it does not appear to have the friction wedges which
(I think) identifies the Barber bolsters (or not?).
The truck with sideframes resembling the ARA Type Y was retrofitted to
numerous PFE cars replacing the original Bettendorf T-section trucks, but
not to any of the R-30-9s I have photos of, and it did not have lateral
motion devices. The Bowser PRR truck would model it fairly well. The
Barber lateral motion bolster was developed in the 1920s, years before the
Barber Stabilized design with friction wedges, and had small longitudinal
rollers between the bolster and a bearing plate on top of the spring
package so that there was limited lateral motion between the bolster and
side frames.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520