Uses for Reefers (was Re: Wabash to the B&O at Decatur)

Jerry <jrs060@...>

--- In STMFC@..., William Hirt <whirt@s...> wrote:
"I've always liked Milky Way and 3 Musketeers better,
that's how I knew (plus growing up in west suburbs!).

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, Curtiss
Candy Co was along I-294 south of O'Hare. Do you know
if they use to be closer to the Galewood loading
point?"

Bill, the only candy company at Galewood, Oak Park Ave.
in Chicago, at the West end of the yard on the CMStP&P
that I know of was Mars Candy Company.
I might add that Mr. Thompson is correct about PFE
working hard to make sure that empties went back West
promptly. It was common practice on the CMStP&P to use
an empty PFE reefer to load candy from Mars to a West
Coast destination, the PFE cars were always in better
condition than most other reefers, but you had to get
the OK from the PFE office in Chicago to do so. They
were a great bunch of people to work with, and it was
never a trouble if the SP, for example, was to get a
line haul to Los Angeles.

Regards,

Jerry Stewart
Chicago, Ill.