Re: More modeling resources

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

Folks;

I just wanted to bring to your attention my current most-used resources
for modeling motivation and ideas, with the hope that you might find
them to be the same.

First, there is a series of books published by Morning Sun on Trolleys.
My favorite is the one by Bill Volkmer on western Pennsylvania (Vol.
3?). I have just about worn it out paging through it. The fact that
these are extraordinary photos, in color, of streetcars, streets, cars,
people, advertising, and buildings, as opposed to shots only of
equipment, makes it invaluable to me in getting colors, backgrounds, and
general settings "right". At least in what I aspire to! Shots that
show what is behind a subject are so rare, in particular color shots
that stray outside the right-of-way, that I find I am using it more and
more as a reference. A couple shots were worth the entire price of the
book. I found that the book is still available out there.

The other is something I keep browsing, and have a growing list of
copies from, and that is the University of Pittsburgh's digital library.
There are hundreds of wonderful photos (albeit in B&W) that show
numerous subjects you might like. They have many photos from the P&LE's
photo library now scanned, and I have found numerous mislabeled photos
that show freight cars in situations in which I have never seen them.
There is a great shot of an old P&LE box in the "Serves the Steel
Centers" scheme being cut and spliced into a longer version, as just one
example. They also have numerous artistic shots from the collections
that have, that can be reproduced by them in large formats. Just the
ticket for your office wall!

I am not involved with either of these enterprises, but I thought those
of you that are modeling the entire locale might like to know of these
great resources.

Have a super day,

Elden Gatwood