pole

al hentsch <hentsch@...>

This is a question we were discussing on another site.When did the US freight car builders stop adding the pole bracket on the ends of US freight cars.I`m talking about the round bracket that the pole was inserted to move a RR car on an adjoining track.This was a vary unsafe practice and only the early diesel locomotives had the brackets so it must have been the the 50`s or 60`s when the pole devise was no longer used on US roads.Also is there any reason or story as if this was banned by the Government or was just no longer used.I hope this is on topic.Thank`s

AL HENTSCH