Re: PRR H34A PS-2 (was RI PS-1 box car)

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Ed Hawkins notes about the Pennsy H34A...whatever that is <g>:

"As far as I know, this is the only paint sample that could be
found during their production planning and this was considered to be a
far better color standard than any color photograph, which may or may
not represent the true color of the actual cars when built in the
mid-1950s."

Hmmmm. I hate to stand up when bullets are flying...particularly about something as obscure yet profound as color. Nevertheless, being fully aware that..."fools walk in...", I would offer a SLIGHTLY different view about color photos. If we're talking about a photo of a single subject, I agree that we don't know what effects different processes may have occurred that may have altered the appearance. However, if other colors...perhaps even other cars...that we KNOW the color of DO appear in the photo, then the information is much more useful. For example, as I have said before, one of my favorite photos is on the cover of the book USRA 2-8-8-2 Series Classic Power 3A by NJ International. This color photo shows two N&W Y class locomotives passing through Roanoke. The engines appear very brownish black...more brown than black, in fact. They are, indeed, dirty from the appearance of the lettering. Now, one might speculate that the photo offers little help in determining their actual color except for one...actually two...things. Standing to the right of the locomotives is a signal with its back to the camera. On the other side and behind the two locomotives is the rear end of a...I think..tender probably recently shopped. Both the signal and tender are very black appearing....no browns at all. From this, we know that the two engines are, indeed, brownish black...unless we believe that parts of the film or lens acted differently from others. The locomotives were, I'm certain, painted black and a paint chip would surely show that. Nature etc. has altered their original appearance and, yes, we're all aware of that. This example has nothing whatever to do with the argument about the as built paint on the Pennsy hopper [ I have not seen the photo ] and I offer it only to suggest that color photos DO have their uses. I find this concept very useful in dispelling beliefs in the consistency of painting operations [ a subject currently under discussion on the Passenger Car Group ]. There are other examples that I could name of clean looking Swift cars with very different appearing shades of red, two distinctly different colors of red on NP box cars and even a horribly pinkish red on a Santa Fe box car coupled to another that appears just fine...neither very weathered.

OK...back to shooting. Don't forget to duck, though, and...oh yes...no real bullets please.

Mike Brock...Hmmm. Wonder if there's one of those hoppers in the William Price WM book? Now...there's some beautiful photos.