Re: H-34 color

Ed Hawkins

On Monday, February 14, 2005, at 08:23 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

P.S. The worst ever paint matching might be the Kato ACF covered
hoppers. Their Cotton Belt models were GREEN, while the prototype
used a light gray color!
Tim,
Not true. This model very closely matched an AC&F paint sample that I
sent to Kato at the time. There were several roads, including L&N, that
used a olive-green shade of gray. I agree it looks somewhat unrealistic
on a model, but the paint sample is what it is. I will add that not all
SSW covered hoppers used the same color of paint. Some were a much
lighter shade of gray without the green tones. In looking at four
different ACF paint samples produced for Mopac covered hoppers over a
relatively short span of about 5-6 years, the paint samples are
completely different with some being fairly light, others being quite
dark, one matching "Floquil Concrete" and another one that looks more
like beige. Crazy.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins