Re: box/caboose car

Arthur Marr <abmarr2@...>

On the second level of the California State Railroad Museum there is a
large photo of an oil tank fire at the Sacramento shops
in 1907. This photo looks over the roof tops of a group of SP cabooses at
least 3 of which are box car cabooses. All three have
benches on the roofs. One car in the foreground is SP Cal. 14270. I was
hoping that I could learn more about these in SP caboose
book but they are not mentioned..

Does anyone know when this practice was started and how long it lasted on
SP?

Art Marr
Reno, NV

The SP de Mexico did this too.