Re: Coming in June - Athearn 40' Ribside Boxcars

Rob Sarberenyi <espeef5@...>

Benjamin Hom wrote:

Shawn Beckert wrote:
"...did WP really own some of these [MILW Ribside Boxcars]?"

Yes. WP obtained 6 cars from the Milwaukee in 1962. See Kirk Reddie's
article in the September 1988 issue Mainline Modeler for more information.

Actually, Western Pacific only purchased two of the cars, numbering them #3416, 3417. Jim Eager mentions them on page 27 of his book "Western Pacific Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment", along with a pic of WPMW 0209 preserved at Portola.

I've scanned and posted page 36 of the already mentioned Mainline Modeler article here:
http://home.pacbell.net/espeef5/mm_sep_88_p36.jpg

FWIW, HO scale plans of the MILW ribside car appears on page 37, but you'll have to purchase a back issue of the mag to get it. Hey, I'm not *that* easy. <g>

Peter Arnold wrote an article on building an HO scale model of a WP ribbed side boxcar appearing in Issue #8 (published in 1992) of the "Headlight", official publication of the Western Pacific Historical Society. Since this issue is not easy to come by, I've scanned the two pages and posted them here:
http://home.pacbell.net/espeef5/wp_headlight_8_p28.jpg
http://home.pacbell.net/espeef5/wp_headlight_8_p29.jpg

Rob Sarberenyi