Re: Prototype for the old Walthers 40 plug door steel car and 40' SS cars?

oliver

Thanks Ben! I had a feeling these were only stand-ins.
Stefan

--- In STMFC@..., "Benjamin Hom" <b.hom@w...> wrote:
Stefan Lerché asked:
"Is there a prototype for either of these cars? The steel car (Walthers
#932-3223) looks like a old ARA design but with a big plug door, so it
was obviously a late 1950s modification? or?"

Both these kits were originally from the Train-Miniature line. This
kit is
a bizarre mish-mash of details - an 8 foot wide plug door, 8 panel sides
(that don't extend to the side sill), 3/3/3 Dreadnaught ends, an odd 11
carline flat panel roof, and the rehashed Rock Island reefer underframe
that's used for all the cars in this line. The car is similar in
proportions to the BAR/NH "State of Maine" insulated boxcars, but these
prototypes had 10 panel sides, improved Dreadnaught ends, diagonal panel
roofs, and straight center sills.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bar/bar2573ajc.jpg

It sort of looks like the final iteration of the DT&I USRA DS boxcar
rebuilds, but even the three-foot rule won't help this model fool
anyone.
There aren't any prototype matches for this model.
http://dti.railfan.net/Pototype_Images/rs/DTI_19028be.jpg

"The SS car is still listed on the website:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-2121 "

The SS car is more useful, but you'll need to do a lot of work to make a
credible model. The model resembles a number of 8 ft 7 in IH Howe
truss SS
boxcars of the 1920 for many roads, the most common cars for the MILW:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/milwssboxmain.html
Other roads with similar include ATSF (ex-Clinton & Oklahoma
Western), CN,
CV, G&F, KCS, LNE, L&A, Missouri & Arkansas, MP/I-GN, and RI, though
all of
these cars have different ends and/or roofs than the model. Some of
these
prototypes are available in resin from Sunshine and Funaro. Richard
Hendrickson kitbashed ATSF Class Bx-22 from this model during the
1980s; you
can catch a glimpse of it in a model freight consist article in the
January
1990 Railmodel Journal. (Unfortunately, this model was stolen some time
ago.)

The biggest flaws of this model are the roof, which isn't a very
convincing
model of either the Murphy XLA or Hutchins roof common to these
cars; the
ends, especially the DS end or the 3/3/3 Dreadnaught end (the
"braced end"
is salvageable), and the rehashed RI reefer underframe.

This model is currently most valuable as a "Tan Dot" stand-in to
break up
the "sea of 10 ft 6 in steel boxcars" prevalent on many layouts. By
doing
basic upgrades to this model (similar to what I did to the Walthers
X29 in
my TKM series) with new paint and lettering, you can visually crate some
variety in your boxcar fleet and "stair step" in your trains until
you've
built enough "Green Dot" single sheathed boxcar models from resin
kits and
quality kitbashes.

Ben Hom