Re: B.C. Sugar Refining Co Ltd 101

Ian Cranstone

On 26-Feb-05, at 9:31 PM, Rob Kirkham wrote:

Thanks for filling in those gaps, Ian. Your comments about it being in captive service are confirmed in part at least by the fact that the photo was taken from just outside the B.C. Sugar plant on their siding. I wish I knew how long it was in that service. I'm going to spend some time looking at photos of the whole complex and see if I can spot it in an earlier era.
Interesting -- let me know what you see. I've been working on the Canadian tank cars story for a while, and it was very interesting to see a car I knew nothing about (and I suspect will know very little more about).

At the same time, I am curious about the BCER tank cars. Were any in service before 1948?
BCER 100 was first listed in 4/1951 (last listed 10/60), with 101-103 following in 10/53 (last listed sometime between 4/1962 and 7/1963). I know that BCER 102 was constructed by GATC in 7/1953 (shown in CC&F builders photo under lot 2027), and I believe that this also applied to BCER 101 & 103. BCER was listed as an AAR-V car (which suggests that it was purchased used, since this designation was not applied to cars built after sometime in the 1920s), and BCER 101-103 were listed as ICC-105A300. All were listed as being in propane service.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...