Re: was "universal", now old car usage

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

All still interested;

Thanks for all the additional insights.

I just wanted to add one more interesting thing onto this discussion and
that is the use of different age cars in different services.

If the RRs were giving their newest and best cars to the customers that
most demanded them, who was getting the dregs?

I remember that the worst cars I ever saw were those in scrap service.
Others have pointed out that the worst boxcars they ever saw were in
grain, hide, or animal remains service.

I had earlier pointed out that I remember gons and flats with little
flooring remaining, still being used around Pittsburgh. I also remember
an older guy on the RR pointing out to me that the PRR hid gons all over
the area because of a gon shortage. While the mills may have demanded
really nice cars for coil service or shipping large structural shapes,
the left-overs must've been shunted into scrap service. Scrap dealers
commonly cut holes in the sides to fasten banding to cars that didn't
have tie-downs, which I am sure irritated the owner. I also remember
watching magnet operators purposely bashing the ends and sides out of
gons as idle amusement. Would you send your nice new gons to these guys
after they came back bashed to death? Similarly, would you send good
gons into hot coil service after they came back burned out? This mighty
have been the direct reason the PRR kept small numbers of really old
cars in active service.

Just a thought for us "nasty cars" modelers.

Elden Gatwood