Re: Computerized Freightcar Inventory Database Programs

Bob Webber <zephyr1@...>

You can easily put drop down menus with valid values in Excel. And, given the formats you can export and import to/from Excel it's easy to put data into and out of other products that use acknowledged standards for such things.

At 10:04 PM 3/7/2005, you wrote:

One advantage of a database program (at least the ones that I have used)
over Excel is that you can set up drop-down lists for each field. For
example, using Steve's field of Category, you can set the data base up with
pre-determined inputs for that field such as Pass, Frt, NonRev, MOW. You can
also set it up to allow for additions in case you missed something. This not
only keeps the information in each field consistent which allows for more
accurate searches, but also minimizes the typing required. Possibly this
could be done in Excel but I haven't played with it.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com