Question about some transition era freight car uses.

Paul Gehrett

Hi Folks,

I'm part of a club that is in the midst of designing 2
new layouts. We want these layouts to be operations
based. We want to know the particular types of
freight cars that would be used to service some of the
industries that we want on the layout. For most of
these industries, some cars types are rather obvious.
We're also interested in knowing if there were any
"specialty" freight cars that were unique to the
industry. The general time frame for our layouts is
the 1950's. Finally, when did the grain industry
start using covered hoppers?

The list of industries is:

Brewery
Grain industry
Bridge & Iron works
Paper & timber industry

Thanks to anyone that can help provide information
about freight car movements into and out of these
types of facilities. Or, if there's a website or
another yahoo group that can help, please pass that
info on as well.

Thanks,

Paul Gehrett