Re: LNE 1923 ARA Box

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Mar 15, 2005, at 3:44 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:

Rob Daniels asked:
"I'm looking for any or all of the following information regarding the
appliances used on LNE 1923 ARA boxcars following AB upgrades:

1) What type of brake housing (I believe it was power brakes, but not sure
what kind)"

Will Whittaker photographed LNE 8413 at San Francisco in 1963. This photo
ran in the Amerine/Freeman X29 article in the October 1978 Prototype
Modeler. Brake wheel and housing are Ajax.
First group (8001-8200) used unpowered staff-type hand brakes. The second group (8201-8500) used Ajax hand brakes with the early hand wheel (use the parts from Intermountain) and the last group I can't definitively say, but I believe they used Ajax. As the earlier cars (8001-8200) received their diagonal panel roofs, they also received power hand brakes, not Ajax in every case.

"2) What type of cut lever (carmer, upper or lower bar)"

It's hard to tell in the Whitaker photo - it appears to be top operated.
The cars were built with Carmer cut levers. If I had to guess, I would say
that many retained them to retirement, with some replaced as Carmer parts
became scarce (as did the PRR X29).
The last group of cars built (8501-8750) used bottom operated cut levers.

"3) Was the three-lever system like the one on the PRR X29 retained, or was
it converted to the more conventional two-lever AB arrangement?"

The LNE cars had KC brakes vice the KD brakes of the PRR cars, so the lever
arrangement is different. I'd go with the two lever arrangement. A Paul
Dunn photo of LNE 8484 in the November 2001 Railmodel Journal has the AB
brake components nicely silhouetted.

"4) What type of trucks was used?"

The cars were built new with ARA Type Y trucks. (The Bowser 2D-F8 is the
closest match in HO and N.) These were replaced by the 1950s with AAR cast
sideframe trucks with simplex bolsters. (Life-Like Canada LL212560 in HO.)
Again, the last group was different, using an ARA truck with cast steel sideframes with a coil-elliptic spring package. All of the photos I have of cars with different trucks show none with anything like the Life Like trucks (a 1920s type). Does Life Like offer more than one truck (that would be good news)?

Ben's comments were probably directed towards the models and thus, towards the two earlier groups. The last group of cars had always puzzled me. Why would the LNE build a 1923 ARA car with Dreadnaught ends and a Murphy roof when the 1932 ARA car was already being built. The answer I found was that the rolls for the Z-sections of the center sill on the 1932 ARA cars were not available in large enough quantities so they opted to build a 1923 ARA car with the more modern roof and ends.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
100 14th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94402