Re: LNE 1923 ARA Box

Robert Daniels

Thanks Ted -- do you know about when the cars received
diagonal panel roofs?

--- Ted Culotta <tculotta@...> wrote:

On Mar 15, 2005, at 3:44 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:

Rob Daniels asked:
"I'm looking for any or all of the following
information regarding the
appliances used on LNE 1923 ARA boxcars following
AB upgrades:

1) What type of brake housing (I believe it was
power brakes, but not
sure
what kind)"

Will Whittaker photographed LNE 8413 at San
Francisco in 1963. This
photo
ran in the Amerine/Freeman X29 article in the
October 1978 Prototype
Modeler. Brake wheel and housing are Ajax.
First group (8001-8200) used unpowered staff-type
hand brakes. The
second group (8201-8500) used Ajax hand brakes with
the early hand
wheel (use the parts from Intermountain) and the
last group I can't
definitively say, but I believe they used Ajax. As
the earlier cars
(8001-8200) received their diagonal panel roofs,
they also received
power hand brakes, not Ajax in every case.

"2) What type of cut lever (carmer, upper or lower
bar)"

It's hard to tell in the Whitaker photo - it
appears to be top
operated.
The cars were built with Carmer cut levers. If I
had to guess, I
would say
that many retained them to retirement, with some
replaced as Carmer
parts
became scarce (as did the PRR X29).
The last group of cars built (8501-8750) used bottom
operated cut
levers.

"3) Was the three-lever system like the one on the
PRR X29 retained,
or was
it converted to the more conventional two-lever AB
arrangement?"

The LNE cars had KC brakes vice the KD brakes of
the PRR cars, so the
lever
arrangement is different. I'd go with the two
lever arrangement. A
Paul
Dunn photo of LNE 8484 in the November 2001
Railmodel Journal has the
AB
brake components nicely silhouetted.

"4) What type of trucks was used?"

The cars were built new with ARA Type Y trucks.
(The Bowser 2D-F8 is
the
closest match in HO and N.) These were replaced
by the 1950s with AAR
cast
sideframe trucks with simplex bolsters.
(Life-Like Canada LL212560 in
HO.)
Again, the last group was different, using an ARA
truck with cast steel
sideframes with a coil-elliptic spring package. All
of the photos I
have of cars with different trucks show none with
anything like the
Life Like trucks (a 1920s type). Does Life Like
offer more than one
truck (that would be good news)?

Ben's comments were probably directed towards the
models and thus,
towards the two earlier groups. The last group of
cars had always
puzzled me. Why would the LNE build a 1923 ARA car
with Dreadnaught
ends and a Murphy roof when the 1932 ARA car was
already being built.
The answer I found was that the rolls for the
Z-sections of the center
sill on the 1932 ARA cars were not available in
large enough quantities
so they opted to build a 1923 ARA car with the more
modern roof and
ends.

Regards,
Ted Culotta