Re: ex-PRR cars on Rutland or GMRR? also cars on the OERM

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

Phil;
That is very interesting info. Yes, the Andrews seem to have been
replaced, often with PRR 2D-F8 trucks, when they got rebuilt, but truck
swaps after that were even common.

I have never seen anything that resembles a serial or VIN number on a
PRR freight car, just the car numbers on the exterior, and one on the
underframe (perhaps in case the two were separated for a rebuild and
they wanted to keep track of the underframe for accounting purposes),
but your idea makes more sense. I have seen parts numbers stamped into
just about everything.

If the other one with the diagonal roof is an X26C, then that would make
it one of the last 500 rebuilds. We also don't know if it may have been
one of the X26C that were further rebuilt in the mid-60's into an X26F.
Since the X26Cs were hitting the 40-year rule, some portion of the fleet
was supposedly re-underframed to allow them to continue in service. I
don't know what the details of this swap out were, though. And I say
supposedly with good reason. The PRR rebuilds sometimes didn't seem to
include parts that you would have thought would have had to have been
changed. Crown trucks are one example. How those trucks ended up
escaping replacement when they outlawed Andrews-style trucks is beyond
me! And they ended up on "rebuilds" like the new G36 class gons?

Let us know if you find anything more out!

Thanks,

Elden Gatwood