Careers and how they influence Hobbies (was RE: Re: inept)

Jeff Coleman

I learned basic carpentry from my father when I was a teenager. Was
building models before I could saw a straight line. After high
school I went to work at the railroad, brakeman then carman. Now 30
yrs. later I'm a QA inspector with a contract railcar shop, still
some hands-on but more paper work than I like.
Jeff Coleman
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Brown \(YahooGroups\)"
<YahooLists@i...> wrote:
Walt

I'm not sure where I fit in on your theory :-)

I'm a 33 year old software architect and project manager for a
software
development consulting company. I started with the first computers
the
school had in 7th grade, got my computer science degree in the 90s,
and have
worked professional in the field since 92. This is about as much of
sit-down job as you could possibly get.

The only time I had Shop was for 1 semester in Jr High. I wasn't
very good
at it, but we weren't really taught any skills either. The only
power tool
we were allowed to use was a palm sander. They were changing the
curriculum
to remove most of shop, and renovating the school, so that was the
last time
I saw any woodworking tools in school. The following year, we had
mechanical
drawing. I did very well at that - far better than the rest of the
class
actually, but was never able to try my hands at making anything
from the
drawings.

My family lived in an apartment (several, over the years) until I
was in
college. Therefore we never had many tools around, nor any
woodworking
equipment. If you aren't exposed to it, you don't learn it. I did
build
model airplanes (but never really painted them, except a couple
times with a
brush) until I was in high school.

In 2001 I bought my first house. Having a place of my own with some
land and
some room to stretch out got me interested in woodworking, model
railroading, cnc machining and other things. I don't consider
myself to be a
good woodworker, but I have built a few things that surprised the
heck out
of my family :-) I am completely self and book-taught in all my
hobbies.

My father in law, who is a retired carpenter, puts me to shame
whenever he
comes over to help work on the things in the house. It takes
everything I
have to keep up with a guy who has done this his whole life.
Luckily, he
appreciates that I make the effort :-)

Some of my woodworking projects:

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/HomeImprovement/Mantel.aspx

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/HomeImprovement/EntertainmentCenter.aspx

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/Railroad/Layout/Benchwork/Yard.aspx

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/HomeImprovement/WindowBirdBox.aspx

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/HomeImprovement/FrankenSaw.aspx

Some of my railroad and machining projects

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/Railroad/Roster/DL/GP7/20/

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/Railroad/Workshop/CNCAndCasting.aspx

Others

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/HomeImprovement/StoneWall.aspx

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/HomeImprovement/StructuredWiring.aspx

http://www.irritatedvowel.com/HomeImprovement/ShowerHandles.aspx

For some reason, I thought this was the traintools list. I see now
this is
STMFC. I'm going to post this anyway since I took the time to write
it up,
but I'm sure it will be risking testing Mike's patience. For that
reason, I
request any replies go offline.

Pete

Pete Brown - Gambrills, MD (Near Annapolis)
Visit my personal site : http://www.irritatedVowel.com
(wallpaper, western maryland ry, .net, photography, model rr)

_____