Re: Ebay Auction Rohm & Haas Decal-What time period is this?

Ian Cranstone

On 21-Apr-05, at 12:43 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote in response to Tom Olsen:

Tom, to the best of my knowledge (without spending a lot of time
researching the subject), Rohm & Haas did not own its own cars or have
reporting marks assigned during the steam era; in the late '50s photos
I have or have seen of tank cars with R&H P/L, all the cars were leased
either from SHPX or NATX. Before the late '50s, when the R&H P/L
scheme apparently first came into use, it can be assumed that their
commodities were shipped in leased "plain Jane" tank cars with the
reporting marks of the lessor.
A quick look at my reporting marks listing (http://freightcars.nakina.net/report.html) shows that Rohm & Haas were using the RAHX reporting mark as early as 4/1938, although I haven't checked to see if any cars were listed at this time.

I did look at their listing in the October 1953 ORER (the first one that came to hand, I can look at others if useful) and it shows 37 cars under the RAHX mark. This seems like a small number for a large company, and I suspect there were many others under leasing company marks as Richard has stated. I also note that the home point for RAHX cars was given as Sharon, PA, which suggests to me that they were all leased from GATC.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@nakina.net
http://freightcars.nakina.net