Re: AAR Stencilling Standards - Why the lines?

Dean Payne <deanpayne@...>

I haven't yet figured out the purpose of lines above the reporting
marks and below the car number. The standard placement of reporting
marks makes sense, but I can't figure out why the lines would be there,
from a practical point of view.
Dean Payne

--- In STMFC@..., "bierglaeser" <bierglaeser@y...> wrote:

Judging by the foregoing messages on this topic there was a lot of
latitude regarding the presence or absence of lines above the
reporting marks and below the car number.

SNIP >
In 1960 the otherwise identical diagram is changed to locate the
reporting marks in relation to the top of the rail instead of the
bottom edge of the car side. This same diagram is shown in 1961.

In 1962 diagram is the first to appear without lines above the
reporting marks and below the car number.

Once again the oft repeated advice 'work from a photo' appears to be
the best way to go.

Gene Green