Re: interchanged head end cars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

The best answer to Ed Mines' question that I could give is to report the head-end cars I used to enjoy seeing at the Postal Annex and express building at LAUPT when I was a teenager in the 1950s and rode down there on my bicycle. There were always Mopac or T&P cars, from the El Paso gateway, and of course lines like the Rock Island. I especially liked the bright colors of Milwaukee and GN head-end cars when they were there, and was always baffled at the astoundingly dirty X29 express box cars. No other railroad had anything like that, so they stuck in my mind. Sometimes there were Southern or L&N or Seaboard cars, presumably via New Orleans, and sometimes eastern cars like B&O or NYC. Wish I would have had my box camera with me more often.

Publishers of books on railroad history