From: "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 4:14 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: interchanged head end cars

--- In STMFC@..., "Mike Brock" <brockm@b...> wrote:
Well...think about it. Consider mail from, say, Bawston to Miami or
New Orleans or Dallas or Kansas City. How's it gonna get there?
I understand what you're getting at Mike, but how much mail or
express is there between Boston and Dallas? Enough to fill a car?
1000 letters 3 times a week?
A few weeks ago someone linked a book of Erie express connections
and the combinations seemed endless. I can't imagine sending one
package from A to B in a separate car. I imagine that the express
(or mail) is carried by one railroad to a hub with another railroad.
For example Boston to NYC - NH, NYC to Washington - PRR, Washington
to Miami - ACL (?)......
The more frequent the trains, the less goods for each destination.
Unloading parcels and reloading them to an adjacent car may be less
expensive than sending a partially full car off road and loosing
it's services for a few days. Boston to Miami is a special route,
just like NYC to LA or SF.
Anyway, I's like to know what the operations really were. Too much
fiction has worked it's way into "prototype" modeling.

Ed

Yahoo! Groups Links