Re: interchanged head end cars

Jeff English

--- In STMFC@..., Anthony Thompson <thompson@s...> wrote:
. . . Sometimes there were Southern or L&N or Seaboard
cars, presumably via New Orleans, and sometimes eastern cars like B&O
or NYC.
Tony, other than converted troop sleepers, NYC had very few express box
cars. I've got to assume that any NYC cars you saw were ex-troop
sleepers or regular baggage/baggage-express cars.

There were ten NYC express box cars done up in about 1940, and I've
only seen the ready-to-be-placed-in-service photo, no in-service
photos. I don't think they stayed in express service very long, and in
the post-war era they got the ex-troop sleepers.

Jeff English
Troy, New York