From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Tom Jones III
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 3:50 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] RE: Story re: Car Rocking Off Track

I have a friend who just retired from the BNSF as an engineer
here on the flat, visibility unlimited Plains Division. At
the end of the steam era, he had a train where a middle car
rocked off the track while the train was braking on a short
down grade. The train recoupled itself (how, I do not
know) and was drug into Clovis, NM, with several cars on the
end braking.
Once the brake line was recoupled, off the train went, only
to be a car short when it got to its destination. The best
part of the story is that the lost car sat along the ROW
(according to him) for several weeks until they figured out
that it was lost! Nobody recalled a derailment along the
tracks, so everyone just figured it to be some farmer's new
"condemned" reefer in the field! You would think somebody in
the house car would have seen a boxcar go rolling off into a field!

Tom Jones III