From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Larry Grubb
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 8:23 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] P&LE gons

All,
I have a builder's photo of P&LE 41500 (12/40) and an in-service shot
(Date unknown) of P&LE 13116 with grabirons, not ladders.I also have a
builder's photo of P&LE 40000 (5/45) with ladders.
Larry Grubb

"Gatwood, Elden" <Elden.Gatwood@...> wrote:
Jerry and all;
I believe every photo I have ever seen of an NYC system Greenville-type
gon (incl all those P&LE ones) had ladders on the sides instead of
grabs. The P&LE 2000-2999, 8000-8499, 9000-10499, 10500-10999,
11000-11499, 12000-12999, 13000-13999, 16000-16499, 41000-41999 series
had steel floors. I am sorry that I cannot tell you which ones had
nailable steel flooring, but the majority did not, as the majority of
steel floors were riveted sheet. 40000-40999, 43000-43999 had wood
flooring; perhaps LifeLike's rationale for having their cars numbered in
those series? The steel flooring was somewhat unique looking, so
creating this car would be best with photos. I am sorry I can't be
definitive about all the details, as I do not have my P&LE gon book at
hand.

There are a lot of neat variations within this fleet. The coil cars
alone would make a major modeling project. I remember noting that many
drop end gons had their ends fixed later on, and had jury-rigged ladders
added to the ends. There were also coke container gons, and many other
specialty gons, created within this big fleet. They went all over the
country...

Does anyone know a good source for decals covering the late (50's)
lettering scheme?

Elden Gatwood