From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
larry kline
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:15 PM
To: STMFC list
Subject: [STMFC] Re: P&LE gons

Elden, Larry and list,

I had not noticed that some of these gons had grabs rather than ladders
before this thread started. In addition to the photos that Larry Grubb
mentioned, I have two additional photos of P&LE Greenville gons with
grabs rather than ladders. 1) An NMRA Library Ernest Stefan in service
photo of 41731 ca. 1941. 2) A photo on p27 of the P&LE gon book, dated
11-15-63, of 13558. Interestingly, there is a photo on p30 of the P&LE
gon book, dated 2-18-86, of 13567 with a 5 rung ladder. These photos,
and the ones that Larry Grubb mentions, suggest that the 41000-41999
series gons (Despatch, 1940-41) and 13000-13999 series gons (Despatch,
1956-57) were built with grabs. Both of these series differed from the
other P&LE 52 ft 6 in IL gons built in the 1940s and 1950s. The 41000
series had 13 side stakes, rather than 14 as on the Greenville design.
The 13000 series had fixed ends and end ladders. See p27 of the P&LE
gon book. The Railway Prototype Cyclopedia roster indicates that all of
the other P&LE 52 ft 6 in IL drop end gons, built from 1945 through
1952, had ladders.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Yahoo! Groups Links