GATX Tank Car

sdrobatschewsky

Looking for information about a 10,000 gallon GATX tank car in the
5xxxxx car number series. In 1959, the Southern Pacific built a sand
tower in Dunsmuir, welding two tank cars end to end and standing the
cars on end. In pictures I took in the 1980's I can see partial
markings on one of the tank cars as indicated above. This tank car also
had tie-down bands on each side of the dome as witnessed by the
corrosion under the band area. My questions are: 1) who made this car;
2) what was the length of the tank (with or without the end domes; 3)
What was the diameter of the tank; 4) Have any drawings ever been
published for this car type? Thanks for any help.
Serge