Re: Mobil Tank Car Paint Schemes

Ian Cranstone

On 6-Jun-05, at 2:29 PM, Beckert, Shawn wrote:

Can anyone hazard a guess as to when Mobil went to this
plain-jane paint and lettering scheme for their tank cars?
A quick look at my reporting marks list shows that the MOBX reporting mark was first listed in 4/1960. Tim Gilbert noted that MOBX was not listed in his 4/1961 ORER, but this is incorrect -- in fairness to Tim though, the ORER folks made it tough for him: Instead of being listed with the Mobil Oil Company cars with other reporting marks (ANPX, GPCX, MPCX & SMX) on page 668, they are listed under a separate Mobil Oil Company listing on page 667.

It does look like they could work for my 1967-era layout (although they were probably very infrequent visitors to Canada), but not so well for the steam-era folks. I'd still have to dump those ACI labels though.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net